I found this paint-by-numbers picture in a resale shop and thought it was a great throw-back to my childhood days (not to mention it had deers in it)! Does anyone even do paint-by-numbers anymore? This painting was originally in a very basic light maple-colored frame that had zero character and practically fell apart when I took it off. The picture itself acquired a few layers of grime over the years (wish I had taken some close-ups for comparison). The nice thing about acrylic paint though is that it’s very durable and a little mild soap and water (use a damp cloth) can really remove a lot, if not all, of any build-up without damage. Older paint-by-numbers were done on thicker pieces of poster board than I see now – or heavy cardboard really, so it was in good shape even around the edges. However, it was warped and needed a stronger frame to secure it. I struggled with what kind of frame to put it in and shopped all over looking for something rustic that was sturdy and would complement the picture. I found a frame I thought would be fun to try but wasn’t crazy about the gold color. Here’s the frame as purchased.
I decided to change it up a bit and started with a brown stain (a paint-stain as I call it). The same brand that I used on the porch rocking chairs in this post. It covered well and dried to a dull finish.
Then I used some chalk paint and brushed it on randomly over the design grooves. When it was dry to the touch I just wiped it off with a damp cloth and left the remains in the grooves. I put a finishing coat of wax on top of the whole frame to seal the chalk paint and add a bit of a shine to the brown stain.
I’m still deciding if it’s the right frame for this picture. I may go with barn wood at some point but it’s a bit whimsical and different and works for now. At least this nostalgic art form got a good cleaning and is on display over a proper mantel! Enjoy!